The EATCS has recognized five of its members for their outstanding contributions to theoretical computer science by naming them as recipients of an EATCS fellowship. The EATCS Fellows for 2016 are:
- Zoltán Ésik (University of Szeged, Hungary; http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~
ze/) for "contributions to the fields of automata and formal languages, iteration theories, algebra and logic in computer science, and in particular to their connections. He has been able to apply deep theorems of some area to problems of other fields, yielding particularly short, beautiful and mathematically concise proofs."
- David Harel (Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel; http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.
il/~harel/) for "fundamental contributions to program verification, database theory, and software engineering, as well as for exceptional merits as a writer and teacher. The Statecharts model has had profound impact on software and systems engineering."
- Giuseppe F. Italiano (University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy; http://www.disp.uniroma2.it/
users/italiano/) for "fundamental contributions to the design and analysis of algorithms for solving theoretical and applied problems in graphs and massive data sets, and for his role in establishing the field of algorithm engineering."
- Kurt Mehlhorn (Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik, Germany; https://people.mpi-inf.mpg.de/
~mehlhorn/) for "his influential contribution to the whole field of algorithmics over the past decades. In addition to key theoretical contributions, he has brought basic research closer to practice."
- Scott A. Smolka (Stony Brook University, USA; http://www3.cs.stonybrook.edu/
~sas/) for "fundamental contributions to process algebra, model checking, probabilistic processes, runtime verification, and more recently for the successful application of most of these theories to cardiac-cell modelling and analysis."
- Rocco De Nicola (IMT Lucca, Italy; chair),
- Paul Goldberg (Oxford, UK),
- Anca Muscholl (Bordeaux, France),
- Dorothea Wagner (Karlsruhe, Germany) and
- Roger Wattenhofer (ETH Zurich, CH).
The EATCS is very proud to have the above-mentioned members of the association among its fellows.
The list of EATCS Fellows is available at http://www.eatcs.org/index.