Monday, December 18, 2006

Being Head of Department: A New Experience

As of 1 January 2007, and for at least about eight months, I'll be the acting head of the CS department at Reykjavík University.

Not surprisingly, I am trying to gather some useful advice on how to survive this new experience, and hopefully live to tell the tale as far as research, teaching and service to the academic community are concerned. So far, I have found some useful information on the CRA web site, but I'd love to hear any advice you might have on how to manage one's time while being head of department, and what aspects of the job one should be particularly aware of. Drop me a line, or use the comments section. I'll be grateful for any piece of information you might provide.

I apologize to those of you who kindly invited me to serve on PCs for conferences during the first half of 2007. I was honoured by your consideration, but decided to politely decline all of those invitations rather than do a bad job. (I must freely admit that the prospect of chairing the department is worrying me somewhat :-() I hope that I made the right choice.

No comments: